Legal Stay

Legal Stay

Once admitted to the Medical University of Warsaw, students are responsible for ensuring they meet all the legal requirements as international students.
The legalisation of a foreigner's residence in Poland is a multi-stage process. It would be best if you were concerned about it before you start your studies.

International students have two options for legalising their stay in Poland – applying for a visa or a residence card. Students are also required to have health insurance coverage while studying in Poland.

Entry Requirements for EU Citizens or EEA/EFTA Citizens

EEA/EFTA citizens are nationals of one of the member states of the European Economic Area (EEA) or the European Free Trade Association (EFTA): Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Students who are citizens of the European Union (EU) or the EEA/EFTA do not need to apply for a visa.
However, they must register with the Voivodship (Provincial) Office within 90 days of arrival.
In Warsaw it is:

Mazowiecki Urząd Wojewódzki w Warszawie
Wydział Spraw Cudzoziemców
ul. Marszałkowska 3/5
00-624 Warszawa

Note – you must keep an eye on the deadline and register before the expiry of 90 days from the date of entry!

Entry Requirements for Non-EU Citizens

As a general rule, you would need a visa to enter Poland.
All students who are Non-EU citizens may apply for D- type national visa.
A D-type national visa permits to enter the territory of the Republic of Poland and to stay continuously or for several successive times in this territory for a total duration of more than 90 days during the period of validity of the visa, but not longer than one year.

The basic steps to obtain a visa:

1. Find a Polish Consulate/ consular section of the Embassy of the Republic of Poland that can process your application.
You can use the search engine of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of Poland.

2. Read ALL the information concerning visa application on the consulate’s website carefully and follow ALL the instructions. Supporting documents may differ depending on where a visa application is submitted. For more details, please get in touch with the relevant consular post.

3. Set a visa appointment with the consulate. In most cases, you will have to register through the website

4. Prepare the necessary documents, including the application form, travel document (passport), biometric photo, health insurance, sufficient means to support yourself, and documents confirming the purpose of your stay. Verify required documents on the consulate’s website.

5. Submit all the documents, including a printed and signed application form and the visa fee.

Early submission of visa documents is advisable as the procedure may take considerable time in some countries.

However, foreigners from several countries are exempted from a visa requirement when entering Schengen Area for the periods not exceeding 90 days within 180 days: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Costa Rica, Chile, Croatia, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Macau, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Salvador, San Marino, Singapore, Switzerland, United States of America, Uruguay, Vatican and Venezuela.
Citizens of the above countries have a second option to legalise their stay in the first year of study: Temporary Residence Permit.
Please note: After you arrive in Poland, you have 90 days to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit. Failing to do so may result in your deportation. Therefore we advise you to start your application as soon as possible.

Health Insurance:

Information for students with Polish citizenship or the Polish Card holders.

International students must also have health insurance coverage while studying in Poland.

The following documents are accepted as insurance proof:
1. commercial health insurance
2. contract or a confirmation from the Polish National Health Fund (in Polish: NFZ – Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia)
3. the European Health Insurance Card – EHIC (in polish: EKUZ – Europejska Karta Ubezpieczenia Zdrowotnego)

EU or EFTA Citizens

1. You should be insured in Poland based on your country's European Health Insurance Card.
2. If you don’t have it, your parent should register you in your home country as a family member.

When you arrive in Poland, you should choose a family doctor at a clinic that has a contract with the Polish National Health Fund (Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia – NFZ). You will be entitled to free health services, but this does not include preventive health care (e.g. vaccinations). You should complete the required vaccinations before arriving in Poland (if applicable).

Non-EU Citizens

Commercial health insurance

1. If you apply for D- type national visa, you must purchase adequate health insurance.

It is medical travel insurance whose coverage amounts to not less than EUR 30,000, and covering all expenses that may arise in connection with the need to return for medical reasons, a medical emergency, urgent hospitalisation or death, or medical insurance within the meaning of Polish regulations on health care benefits financed out of public funds.

Information about this insurance can be found on the consulate’s website between the visa requirements.
Information of the Minister of Foreign Affairs about the insurers and the insurances that they offer, which meet the necessary conditions referred to in Article 25 (1) (2) (a) and Article 25 (1b) of the Act of 12 December 2013 on Foreigner

If the health insurance policy is constructed in another language than Polish or English, a sworn translation of this document must be done.

2. Similar insurance can be obtained by those applying for a Temporary Residence Permit.

Insurance in the Polish National Health Fund

International students may purchase insurance from the Polish National Health Fund (Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia – NFZ) by signing an agreement with NFZ.

The student pays the contributions. The monthly cost of such insurance for students is around 55,80 PLN (13 EUR).

Foreigners insured in NFZ are treated equally to Polish citizens and have the same access to health care benefits and the financing of these benefits.

Please note:
You are only covered by health insurance on the date specified in your contract with the NFZ. You must be in Poland to sign such a contract. You should purchase other insurance until this insurance starts.
The insurance ends on the contract’s termination date or in the month when you fail to pay the contribution.

The steps to obtain insurance in the Polish National Health Fund:

1. Sign up an agreement with NFZ (National Health Fund – “Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia“)

2. Register this agreement in any ZUS (The Social Insurance Institution – “Zakład Ubezpieczeń Społecznych") branch.
Only this step confirms the application for health insurance in the National Health Fund.
ZUS provides the account number to which the student must pay monthly contributions.
The confirmation of the insurance is the ZUZ ZZA form and proof of the payment of the last contribution. 

3. Deliver proof of insurance to the Dean’s Office.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.